Tuesday, March 6, 2012

How Old is Too Old to Play Soccer?

I am, and will always be, a soccer player.  I LOVE soccer; I love to play soccer, I love to watch soccer, and eventually I will love coaching my kids in soccer.  But how old is too old to play soccer?

IMG_0853Seattle LOVES it’s soccer too!  Seattle has several adult leagues and I think I tried them all.  At one point while living in Seattle, I was playing on three teams a week (while still training for marathons).  Three days a week playing 90 minute outdoor soccer games takes a lot out of you as an adult.  I didn’t realize it at the time, but it was really affecting my body.  I was ALWAYS sore and was getting nagging injuries.  Not to mention the amount of money and time I spent…..

Was it worth it?  Definitely.  I met some AMAZING people and gained valuable friendships (I miss you team Chico’s Bail Bonds, esp. Steffanie and Jessica!).  I was also able to do something that I love while releasing a lot of pent up competitive energy and get in some great fitness.

I remember when my older friends started to quit soccer and I couldn’t understand how and why they could quit soccer?!  I thought they were being wimps and that they were just too out of shape to play.  I vowed never to quit!  Now I am starting to see their point.  Even if you are in the best cardio shape, that does not mean you are in soccer shape.  Running does not fully translate to the soccer field; soccer uses a lot of different muscles and movements than running.  

To compound the issue, every year your body reacts differently to various activities.  I am starting to realize this and I am ONLY 30?!?  I have now taken 3 months off of soccer; I am not sore and I do not have the nagging injuries that I was experiencing while playing in Seattle.  Coincidence?  I think not. 

Everyone is different and has a different answer for “How Old is Too Old to Play Soccer.” I definitely will NEVER be too old to play soccer, but I can’t play at the intensity and frequency that I used to (SAD).  I think I will play this summer on a women’s league, but I will not go back to playing 3 times a week against 20-something men like I was doing in Seattle.  My body just can’t handle it anymore :(

2 comments:

Lauren: ) said...

Hi, Barb!! I've been catching up on your blog while nursing my little guy on the middle of the night!! Have you tried playing kickball? I know they have teams in Denver. Nick and i play on a team together in Lawrence. It isn't the same as soccer, biut it is fun to doing something competitive and with a team!!

CentsibleRunner said...

Lauren! Great to hear from you... and CONGRATS on the little guy! How exciting :) I bet you are loving it.
Good idea about kickball, I will have to check it out. I have a feeling that I will start craving soccer by spring and will forget at how sore it made me, ha!

Post a Comment