Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Acronyms and the overuse of !!!! and :)

I admit, I am guilty of the use of LOL, multiple !!!!!’s and the :) …… I apologize and I try to only use them in personal situations.  But using these is so easy and seems so typical because I am bombarded by them via Twitter, blogs, and sometimes even at WORK.

WORK is where I draw the line.  Please, do NOT ever use LOL, OMG, tots, !!!!!!!’s , :) , :( , or <3 when emailing me in regards to work-related subjects.  And for the love of God, NEVER email these things to a client.  For some reason, this sends me into a Negative Nancy/Chief Darkcloud RAGE!

One female I deal with at work is a frequent offender.  

  • Her extreme displays of positivity in ALL emails is NOT contagious and, in fact, does the exact opposite of what she is setting out to accomplish.  “OMG I had a turkey sandwich for lunch too!!!!! We should be BFF’s!!!!” Really?!? 
  • Her “Happy Friday!” or “Merry Monday!” or “Have a Terrific Tuesday!” for some reason irritates the heck out me and makes me gag.  No happiness or merriness has resulted on any of those days. 
  • Her use of “Sweeto Burrito” made me throw up in my mouth.  Where did that come from!?!?
  • The 5 smiley faces :) did NOT make me smile :(

I know you must be thinking, “Wow, that is a crazy rant and was sort of mean.  Why do you care what she emails and why does this bother you so much?”

I’ll tell you why, and maybe you will (sort of) understand where I am coming from:

  • I work in a male dominated industry where (in my opinion) I have to work really hard to get respect
  • I have a few things going against me; I am female, I look 10 years younger than I really am, and I am not that ugly
  • For these reasons, I go out of my way to be professional and try to carry myself and say things that demand respect.  I do this because (I feel) some people make assumptions of my intelligence and capabilities based on my appearance
  • I feel emails (or even every day conversation), that contain the above-mentioned, set back young professionals, especially women, in my industry
  • Certain people expect these sort of emails out of someone like me.  When I carry myself professionally or have an intelligent idea, instead of it being expected, it is more of a shock.  People, please don’t fuel the fire by actually feeding into these expectations!

Alright I am done now.  Sorry for the rant.

Have a WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  KK?  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment